At Coyote Outdoor Living, we believe that coming together to cook and enjoy the outdoor experience is one of the ingredients that enhances family life. Grilling is the perfect way to celebrate Mother’s Day with wholesome, healthy recipes that everyone will enjoy.
Here a family, with a smaller but well-designed outdoor area, is gathered around the electric grill which is a great solution for condo-owners or those with limited space.
To learn more about the electric grill, click here.
For families looking to grill on Mother’s Day, below are two entrée choices for chicken or fish lovers and a simple, yet delicious dessert that will surprise the Mom in your life.
GRILLED TERIYAKI CHICKEN KABOBS
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 32 1 to 1 – ½ inch pieces
- 12 fresh mushrooms (whole)
- Small zucchini, cut into 8, 1 inch pieces
- Large peppers, cut into pieces
- Large Onion, cut into wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
Combine all marinade ingredients in a large, resealable plastic food bag. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade; set aside. Add chicken pieces. Tightly seal the bag. Turn bag several times to coat chicken well. Place in 13 x 9-inch pan. Refrigerate, turning occasionally, about 3 hours. Refrigerate reserved marinade.
When ready to grill, drain the meat and discard the marinade. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate meat, pineapple, mushrooms, zucchini, green pepper, onion, and tomatoes.
Place kabobs onto grill. Grill, turning and brushing occasionally with reserved marinade until chicken reaches at least 175°F. or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork (15 to 20 minutes). This recipe yields 8 kabobs.
GRILLED SALMON SALAD WITH WARM BLUEBERRY VINAIGRETTE
• 2 salmon fillets (~6oz each)
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1 tbl minced garlic
• 1 tbl coconut oil
• 1 tbl balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 fresh blueberries (or frozen that are thawed)
• 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 2 cups salad greens
• salt & pepper
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Rub salmon with olive oil and mince garlic, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill salmon until it is opaue and flaky. About 6 minutes per side (depending on how thick the fillets are).
While salmon is cooking, add coconut oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat to melt. Add in vinegar, blueberries, and sugar. Let cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the blueberries are soft. Add in lemon zest.
Serve salmon over a bed of greens and top with blueberry sauce and a little more fresh grated lemon juice. This recipe is for two so double for 4 people.
For dessert, this recipe is simply delicious! it is a very healthy offering with only two ingredients. Of course, vanilla ice cream can certainly be added on top!
• 4 medium sized ripe but firm peaches
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Pre-heat your grill.
2. Half the peaches and remove the seeds.
3. Melt the coconut oil.
4. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the peaches all over.
5. Place face side down on the BBQ, turning in 4-5 minutes and there are clear grill marks on them.
6. Turn the peaches over and grill for another 4-5 minutes or they are tender.
Happy Mother’s Day to all!